Head of Sustainability & Carbon Markets
This is a leadership role in a purpose company that is tackling a multi-billion dollar market. You have the opportunity to combine your business knowledge with your passion for sustainability. This is a great role for an entrepreneur that is looking for a new challenge in an impact environment or for an experienced & ambitious professional with an entrepreneurial mindset, that thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Tasks / Where your expertise is needed
- Be instrumental to develop Greentrade’s Corporate strategy
- Develop and maintain an extensive overview of the high-impact carbon project developer network with a focus on players able to deliver projects across nature-based solutions, such as forestry, wetlands, and soil & agriculture
- Develop your knowledge of carbon project methodologies and standards, climate initiatives, project certification and project monitoring
- Drive procurement and consulting/advisory services to customers including, but not limited to RFP development, market assessments, contract negotiation, contract management, education sessions and climate impact communications
- Develop thought leadership and science content to help advance education of the broader audience on climate mitigation and ultimately enable more climate action
- Be point of contact to our international project partners and keep up to date on the carbon market development
- Engage in proactive networking with relevant organisations including potential project owners, technology providers, industry associations, multi-laterals, government agencies and others
- Source new projects for carbon credits offtake agreements
- Design standardized due diligence process for listing of new projects
- Take on the commercial and operational responsibility for existing partners and optimize and scale them
- Strategic decision-making: Be part of a purposeful entrepreneurship experience with high decision power across strategic topics
Requirements / What we are looking for
- Passion and heart-centered professionalism with a desire to build a better future for the generations to come
- An academic degree, e.g. in business administration, technology, environmental management & science, engineering or a comparable qualification – a big plus would be a Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., Forestry, Wood Technology, Environmental Sciences) or a broader field with evidence of eager interest in environmental or sustainability issues throughout your academic experience
- You have expert knowledge and several years of professional experience in the field of sustainability, relevant previous knowledge in areas such as project development of carbon avoidance and reduction projects
- A big plus: a minimum of 3 years of work experience in carbon projects with a focus on nature-based solutions carbon projects-project design, planning and implementation, preferably with on-ground work experience in project sourcing, stakeholder management, sustainable forest and land management etc
- A good understanding of Voluntary Carbon Market standards and methodologies, and quality principles such as ICVCM-CCP, CCQI, Oxford Offsetting Principles, GHG Protocol, etc.
- Proven skills in AFOLU Carbon management, nature-based solution project assessment, sustainable forest management, and general project management
- Proven experience in conducting assessments, selection, monitoring, and reporting of high-quality nature-based carbon projects
- Strong understanding of tropical forest conservation, restoration, and sustainable use practices, including knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, and best management practices for tropical forest landscapes
- You have B2B experience with a strong customer & partner focus
- You speak fluent English (German and Spanish is a plus)
- Business oriented mindset and positive attitude, with the ability to work on multiple projects which will include effective prioritization and timely completion
- You have a structured and independent way of working and work very detail-oriented and carefully
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Ideally, Berlin based or with frequent travel to Berlin / work can be done remotely.
- This role can be a part-time role or full time role.
Benefits / What we offer
- Fast-growing climate tech startup with a great network of investors and partners
- Instant opportunity to drive impact
- We are a purpose-driven team with the ability to contribute directly to the reduction of Greenhouse gas emissions
- We’re offering compensation in a combination of salary and equity (via ESOP).
If interested, please email Frederick Leuschner: